Skip to content
- In 1939, Sugar Ray won the Daily News Golden Gloves Featherweight championship.
- While still an amateur, he had 69 knockouts in 89 registered fights. Sugar Ray was undefeated in 125 fights, both registered and unregistered.
- He turned professional in October of 1940.
- His winning streak of 40 professional and 125 amateur fights was ended on February 5, 1943 by Jacob LaMotta.
- He became the welterweight champion on December 20, 1946 by defeating Tommy Bell. He held the title for five consecutive years from 1946 until 1951.
- Sugar Ray retired in December 1965 at the age of 44 after 25 years in the ring.
- He was a five-time middleweight champ between the years of 1951 and 1960.
- In total, Sugar Ray lost 19 fights out of 201.
- His record was 174 wins, 19 losses, and 6 undecided.