The following are some of Arthur's more notable career achievements. For a more complete listing, please visit his Awards section.
• Arthur graduated 1st in his class in high school.
• Arthur is the only black male tennis player to win Wimbledon (1975) and the U.S. Open (1968)
• Davis Cup member 1963, 1965-1970, 1975,1977-1978
• Davis Cup captain 1966, 1967, 1971
• First (and only) African-American to be ranked #1 in the world
• Received honorary doctorates from numerous higher institutions during his lifetime from Dartmouth College, LeMoyne-Owen College, Princeton University, Saint John’s University, Trinity University, Hartford College, and Virginia Union University.
• First African-American ever picked for US Davis Cup team (1963)
• Won NCAA individual and team (UCLA) championships (1965)
• Won three Grand Slam singles titles: 1968 US Open, 1970 Australian Open, and 1975 Wimbledon, during his 10-year playing career (1969-1979)
• Elected as President of ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) in 1974
• Selected as captain of Davis Cup team in 1981
• Inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame in 1985